Manitoba's police watchdog announced updates in four separate investigations on Friday morning, including one where an RCMP constable was charged with careless use of a firearm after he shot his service gun in his home while off duty last year, the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba says.
The charge was laid after Zane Tessler, the watchdog's civilian director, got a Crown opinion from the Manitoba Prosecution Service and determined there are "reasonable grounds to believe an offence occurred under the Criminal Code," the unit said in a news release.
Const. Jacob Clement has been issued a summons to appear in Brandon provincial court on Aug. 12, the release said.
The charge stems from an incident on June 27, 2020. It was reported to the watchdog the same day and announced publicly three days later, an news release from June 2020 said. No injuries were reported as a result of that incident, that release said.
Since the matter is now before the courts, the Independent Investigation Unit won't comment further on the investigation.